This product contains isocyanate, and although rare, may produce an allergic reaction in some people. Persons allergic to isocyanate, and particularly those suffering from asthma or other respiratory conditions, should not work with isocyanate.
AVOID DIRECT CONTACT WITH SKIN
In any case of a liquid binding agent or blended material making contact with skin or clothes,
clean immediately with soap and water.
When working with this product, always use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including;
- Safety glasses/face shield
- Impenetrable gloves
- Long sleeve shirt
- Long pants
- Close-toe shoes or boots
Coverage Rates for EKOFLO
The coverage rate is dependent on pebble size. Use to chart below for reference:
|Pebble Size||EkoFlo per 5g (19-litre) of Pebbles:||Coverage Rate:|
|1/8″- -¼” (3.2-6.4 mm)||24 ounces (680.5 gm)||30ft2/gallon (.73 m2/ litre)|
|1/4-3/8″ (6.4 mm-1 cm)||16 ounces (453.5 gm)||40ft2/gallon (.98 m2/ litre)|
|3/8″-1/2″ (1-1.25 cm)||12 ounces (340 gm)||50ft2/gallon (1.22 m2/ litre)|
- EkoFlo Mixing Wand
- EkoFlo Mixing Bucket
- EkoFlo Mixing Bucket Grip
- 1/2″ (1.25 cm) drive cordless drill driver w/ steel chuck and side handle
- Shovel or garden hoe
- Concrete trowel
- WD-40Â® and/or PAMÂ® cooking spray
- Cleaning rags or towels
OPTIONAL: (for larger projects)
- Poly or steel drum Mortar/PADDLE mixer (No rotary mixers)
- 3′ (1 meter) grade rake
- Screed board
- Hand tamp
- Push broom
Suitable Applications / Materials
- Patios/ Commons
- Walkways/ Trails
- Tree Wells/ Cityscape
- Planter Beds/ Landscape
- Drainage basin (stormwater management)
SURFACE MATERIALS: (all materials must be clean and dry)
- Pebbles (beach, river, pea gravel, etc.)
- Triple-washed Aggregates
- Recycled Glass (rounded/tumbled)
- Synthetic Mulch 1/2-1cm and smaller
- Most crushed aggregates, especially lava rock and limestone, are incompatible
Top Tips for EKOFLO
- EkoFlo contains isocyanate, and although rare, may produce an allergic reaction in some people. Persons allergic to isocyanate, and particularly those suffering from asthma or other respiratory conditions, should not work with isocyanate.
- When working with EkoFlo, always use personal protective equipment (PPE) such as safety glasses, impenetrable gloves, long sleeves and pants, and closed toe shoes or boots (avoid direct contact to skin).
- EkoFlo should be installed within an ambient and surface temperature range of 55°-90° F (12.7-32.2 C). Shaded, low sunlight, or colder areas will lengthen cure times. Conversely, direct sun, warmer areas will shorten cure times. Avoid temperatures at or below 55° F and above 90° F (12.7-32.2 C) for EkoFlo installation, curing phase, or storage.
- Using a suitable and qualified pebble will help assure optimal results. Under-applying EkoFlo binder will reduce bond strength. Conversely, over-applying will adversely affect the curing process and aesthetic. Always consult manufacturer coverage rate guidelines, or contact TechniSoil technical support at: 877-356-2250.
- Do not install EkoFlo less than 48 hours before or after rainfall. In damp conditions, allow to dry completely before application. Disable any irrigation systems near treated areas during application and cure phase.
- Mask all adjacent surfaces with tape and polyethylene film to protect surface materials from possible staining (i.e. stone, pavers, concrete, etc.). Clean any accidental spills immediately with acetone and a washcloth.
- Always perform a test section using recommended installation methods to confirm suitability of materials and project conditions!
- Bulk and crushed materials are not recommended, unless thoroughly washed, dried and tested for suitability. Pebbles containing sediments, dust, or fines, must be thoroughly washed and dried prior to use. Avoid using a lava rock or limestone
- Coverage rate is dependent on pebble size, and surface depth. See coverage chart.
- Surface sheen may vary over time due to weathering and foot traffic.
- For optimal water transfer permeability, a subbase comprised of compacted, screened rock is recommended. For heavier use projects, a subbase material with a higher load bearing capability is required, but may reduce overall permeability. Avoid applying EkoFlo over concrete or any solid/ non-drainable substrates.
- Keep project area free from any moisture such as rain or irrigation sprinklers, foot traffic, or otherwise until fully cured (24-72 hours in optimal conditions, or until completely dry).
- EkoFlo works best with pebbles that have been screened, triple-washed, and dried prior to packaging. Typically these types of pebbles can be found in pre-packaged bags, pails, or super-sacks. Crushed/angular aggregates have inconsistent bond points and are difficult to clean, which can result in insufficient bonding. Perform a test area with any new or uncertain material to garner suitability.
- EkoFlo can also be used with other clean, washed & dried materials such as; Recycled Glass Synthetic (Rubber) Mulch Chips A washed pebble will be free of stone dust or other impediments that could affect the bond strength and aesthetic of the surface.
- EkoFlo is not recommended for use with bulk materials that typically contain sediment and moisture such as pea gravel and crushed stone mixes, unless it is thoroughly washed and dried before mixing. The most commonly used and recommended pebble size is 3/8
Installation of EKOFLO
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is mandatory
- Safety glasses / face shield Impenetrable gloves Long sleeve shirt Long pants Closed-toe shoes or boots
- Calculate the square footage of the project area to determine material quantities needed for all aspects of the project. Consider methods for excavation and removal of native soil or existing structures, as well as transportation, delivery, and installation of new materials.
- Excavate project area to an adequate depth to account for water percolation and drainage. Use vibratory plate compactor to compact crushed stone subgrade in 3-4 passes, or as needed for adequate compaction.
- Edge restraints are recommended for best results, optimal stability, and can greatly reduce degradation of edges caused by foot traffic or otherwise. If project does not call for installation of edge restraints, proper compaction of edges is required.
- Some common examples of edge restraints used in this capacity are; Concrete landscape curbing Bender board Plastic or aluminum edging Pressure treated lumber Load bearing qualifications for any standard surface should be considered when constructing subbase for EkoFlo.
- While certain applications will allow for better drainage, they may not be adequate for various traffic loads. Consider the traffic load before constructing subbase.
- For optimal water transfer permeability, a subbase comprised of compacted #57 screened base rock or equivalent is recommended. While a subbase construction consisting of a compacted crushed stone mix will provide for higher load bearing performance, it can reduce the drainage performance.
- Excavate project area to an adequate depth to allow for water percolation, drainage, and a recommended EkoFlo material depth of 1.5″
Cure Times for EKOFLO
Allow surface to cure for 24-72 hours depending on conditions. Material will begin to solidify within 4-12 hours.
Clean any tools and equipment with WD-40® and a dry cloth as needed.
In case of accidental EkoFlo spill onto tools, equipment, or concrete/hardscape surface, clean immediately with Acetone and dry cloth as needed.
Storage of EKOFLO
Store unopened / unused EkoFlo out of direct sunlight in areas with a temperature range of 40° -90° F (4.4-32.2 C).
Treated areas should withstand normal conditions for 24-60 months before a maintenance coat is needed.In high traffic settings and/or in inclement weather conditions, an increased maintenance schedule may be required.
If a maintenance coat is needed, apply EkoFlo at a rate of 100 ft2/gallon (2.5 m2/ litre) using a paint roller or brush.
TechniSoil Global, Inc. warrants this product to be free from defects. Where permitted by law, TechniSoil makes no other warranties with respect to this product, express or implied, including without limitation the implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for particular purpose. The purchaser shall be responsible to orchestrate their own tests to determine the suitability of this product for their particular purpose. TechniSoil’s liability shall be limited in all events to supplying sufficient product to re-treat the specific areas to which product proven to be defective has been applied. Acceptance and use of this product absolves TechniSoil from any other liability, from any and all sources, including liability for incidental, consequential or resultant damages whether due to breach of warranty, negligence or strict liability. This warranty may not be modified or extended by representatives of TechniSoil, its distributors or dealers, independent contractors, clients or end-users of any kind.